A three-week contest held at Somewhere Bar on Saturdays in August and the first Saturday in September. Fifteen (15) comedians are invited to compete for the grand prize of opening for Shawn Pelofsky on September 18 AND a cash prize.
chance to open
Shawn is a Los Angeles comedian and producer. The winner of the Upstaged Comedy Competition gets to open for her September 18th show at Somewhere Bar!
And a $500 cash prize!
Each week, contestants will perform a comedy set.
Week 1: 3-5 minute set
Week 2: 5-7 minute set
Week 3: 10 minute set
Contestants will be given a topic or gimmick each week that they have to work into their set.
The competition ends when we have one winner and one runner-up.
How to Advance
Voting is conducted by the night’s audience via monitored vote boxes and tickets.
Tickets are distributed to bar patrons upon entry. Patrons may earn extra tickets by purchasing a drink from the bar.
Contestants cannot vote and cannot earn tickets by ordering a drink.
No voting can take place until ballots open during the show’s break after all contestants have performed.
See the Rules
1. All jokes and content must be original. Any jokes that are found to be copied could result in disqualification.
2. Each week has a topic and/or twist. If comics fail to incorporate the week’s assignment into their set, they will be penalized 10 tickets from their votes.
3. Each week we want to hear new material. Jokes cannot be repeated from the week before. Any duplicate jokes will result in losing 5 tickets per joke.
4. Every week there is an allotted amount of time for each comic. If you are short more than 30 seconds, you will lose a ticket per 10 seconds. If you are over by more than 30 seconds you will lose 5 tickets per 10 seconds. Going over by 90 seconds, and we will cut your mic.
5. No weapons or items resembling weapons are allowed in this competition. This includes, guns, knives, water guns, nun-chucks, tasers, pepper spray, etc. Failure to follow this guideline could result in disqualification.
6. Contestants will be asked to sign an agreement that they will not plagiarize, and that they give us permission to take photos for promotional use.
7. No hate speech will be tolerated. Use of hate speech may result in disqualification. Up to the discretion of the event runners.
8. Any nudity must abide by state laws.
August 21 – September 4
Aug. 8 (Sun)
Aug. 12 (Tue)
7-10 pm; First come, first served
Somewhere Bar (3544 W Chinden Blvd)
Open to solo acts (Ages 21+)
Please prepare 1-3 minutes of original material. You may choose which night works best for you.
Aug. 21 (Sat)
15 comedians have 3-5 minutes apiece.
Sets must incorporate the theme of the week. Theme will be sent to contestants the week before.
10 comedians move on to the next round.
Aug. 28 (Sat)
10 comedians have 5-7 minutes apiece.
Sets must incorporate a prop provided by the event.
5 comedians move on to the next round.
Sept. 4 (Sat)
5 comedians have 10 minutes apiece.
One. Will. Win.
Sept. 18 (Sat)
Winner gets to open for Shawn Pelofsky at Somewhere Bar.
August 8th OR 12th
Auditions will be held on a drop-in basis
at Somewhere Bar
Sunday (8/8) and Tuesday (8/12)
between 7 pm and 10 pm.
Comedians only need to attend one audition to be considered.
Solo comedy acts only.
Must be 21 or older to audition.
Please prepare 1-3 minutes of original material.
Meet Your Hosts
Producer & Host of the Idaho Pun Slam
Stand Up Comedian
3544 W Chinden Blvd